For the fear of Corona-virus not spreading among housemates, the Federal Government of Nigeria through the minister of Information and Culture boss, Lai Mohammed has directed the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to take Big Brother Naija (BBN) off the air. TOP SOCIETY Reports
The reality show, which entered its fifth season on July 20, is one of the most watched programmes on DSTV.
On Wednesday, Armstrong Idachaba, acting director-general of the NBC, told senior management members that he had been directed by the minister to shut down the show, TOP SOCIETY, confirm.
Mohammed reportedly wanted the letter shutting down the show to come from the NBC because of the general opinion that he is bent on sending MultiChoice Ltd, producers of the show, out of Nigeria.
He is believed to have launched political moves against MultiChoice in order to pave the way for his main consultant to make a return to Pay TV after previously failing.
Information reaching TOP SOCIETY, reveal that the NBC management was not well disposed to the move to shut down BBN, with some of them saying there was no basis for it.
A director is said to have reminded the meeting that NBC had already sought explanation from Multichoice on a possible violation of COVID-19 protocols with the airing of the show.
The letter was sent on July 1, before the show began.
MultiChoice replied with detailed explanations on measures taken in collaboration with the Lagos state government, whose agency, Lagos State Safety Commission, gave the green light for the show.
MultiChoice further in the letter stated that housemates had been screened prior to the show and that the BBN House had been decontaminated and adapted to ensure sufficient physical distancing, in addition to eliminating the use of live audience.
All housemates went through a mandatory two-week isolation during which COVID-19 symptoms would have manifested if they had the disease.
A second director is said to have told the meeting that participants of the show had maintained the safety protocols, notably generous use of hand sanitisers, since it started on Sunday.
Idachaba, who is reportedly fighting to be confirmed as the substantive DG, was asked to request the minister for a written directive.
However, the acting DG was said to have told the meeting that he would have no other option than to carry out Mohammed’s order the same way he altered the broadcast code to please the minister despite public outcry.