Two years and nine months after the ENDSARS there is a leaked memo addressing the Lagos State Ministry of Health indicating that the State Government approved N61,285,000 for the mass burial of 103 persons identified as 2020. This memo is making rounds on social.
With a recall on the outbreak of protest against SARS which called for their end by the youths who trooped to the streets in large numbers tragically ended in blood bath and brought about unidentified deaths
The memo was dated 19/7/23 and addressed according to it’s process of usage and as this mass burial contract had been given to a funeral company. The five-paragraph leaked memo also directs that relevant taxes and deductions are remitted by the approved company.
In response to the said rumours, the Lagos State Ministry of Health confirmed the letter in a statement on Sunday evening, but insisted that details were being misconstrued. It was argued that the victims were from incidents of violence that occurred in the aftermath of the EndSARS protests.
The memo is coming over two years after the widespread protest across the country (ENDSARS) The Lagos Government has yet to comment on the leaked memo.
The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Dr Olusegun Ogboye, said the Lagos State Environmental Health Unit (SEHMU) picked up bodies in the aftermath of #EndSARS violence and community clashes.
According to them, the areas cited included Fagba, Ketu, Ikorodu, Orile, Ajegunle, Abule-Egba, Ikeja, Ojota, Ekoro, Ogba, Isolo and Ajah areas of Lagos State. Ogboye added that there was also a jailbreak at Ikoyi Prison