The Deputy Governor of Edo State, Philip Shaibu, was denied access to his old office at the Government House in Benin, on Monday morning, Top Society reports.
In a video that has been circulating on social media and was viewed by Top Society, Shaibu arrived at the Government House only to discover that the gate to his office was locked.
Shaibu was seen on a phone call with an unknown person saying that he had not received any formal communication from the Governor’s office about the relocation of his office.
“Up till now, I don’t have any official communication that I should relocate. The only people that have official communication are my civil servants. The civil servants have official communication but I don’t. As I am speaking to you now, I am standing by the gate,” said Shaibu.
As of Press Time, the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki is yet to respond to the development. However, sources close to him told newsmen that after Shaibu relocated his office to a new location outside of the Government House, he was not expected at the old office.
The sources also mentioned that no meeting had been planned for Monday, which is why the Deputy Governor’s presence at the Government House was not anticipated. Furthermore, they indicated that arrangements would have been put in place for the Deputy Governor to participate in any scheduled meetings if necessary.
Last week, reports said there was a letter sent to Shaibu from the office of the Head of Service, Anthony Okungbowa, directing him to move his office to a new location at No. 7, Dennis Osadebey Avenue, GRA, Benin City.
One of Shaibu’s aides had confirmed the reports, saying civil servants had begun to move their properties from the Government House.
“We have been told to move and we have started movement today. The memo was sent directly to the Permanent Secretary, it was a two paragraph memo from the HoS but the civil servants are the ones moving right now, the letter was sent to the PS so we are waiting for directives. The civil servants are moving today but we may move before the end of the week.”
However, sources close to the Deputy Governor revealed that the new office was in a bad shape and needed rehabilitation.
This development is the latest in the crisis between Shaibu and Governor Obaseki.
The struggle began after the Governor accused his Deputy of plotting a coup against him.
There were also speculations about plans to impeach Shaibu, which the Edo Assembly has denied.
Following the impeachment plans, Shaibu filed a suit asking the court to prevent his impeachment. However, he withdrew the suit, saying that decision was out of respect for the intervention of several individuals including leaders of religious and traditional institutions.
“Arising from the series of meetings held with me and also with Mr. Governor by well-meaning Edolites and indeed Nigerians including Party Leaders, Traditional Rulers, and my Archbishop, His Grace Most Rev’d Dr. Augustine Akubeze, the Archbishop of Benin Archdiocese on the issues that led to my going to Court on the above-named suit and with due respect to these eminent personalities and leaders whose persuasions and persons I cannot ignore, I, Rt. Hon. Comrade Philip Shaibu has authorized and instructed my Solicitors to withdraw the Suit forthwith,” his statement had read.
However, the latest development shows a strong crisis and power struggle between the Governor and his Deputy.
For Publication of Press Releases, Statements and Adverts Enquiries
WhatsApp: +44 7823 609683
+234 (0) 816 669 1570
Tel:/WhatsApp: +234 (0) 909 066 4971
Follow us on all our society media handles
TOP SOCIETY …we got the news